Saint Petersburg (Russian:Санкт-Петербу́рг, tr.Sankt-Peterburg;IPA:[ˈsankt pʲɪtʲɪrˈburk]) is the second largest city in Russia. It is politically incorporated as a federal subject (a federal city). It is located on the Neva River at the head of the Gulf of Finland on the Baltic Sea. In 1914 the name of the city was changed from Saint Petersburg to Petrograd (Russian:Петрогра́д;IPA:[pʲɪtrɐˈgrat]), in 1924 to Leningrad (Russian:Ленингра́д;IPA:[lʲɪnʲɪnˈgrat]), and in 1991, back to Saint Petersburg. In Russian literature, informal documents, and discourse, the word "Saint" is usually omitted, leaving "Petersburg". In casual conversation Russians may drop the "burg" as well, referring to it as "Peter": Russian: Питер (Piter).
TsarPeter the Great founded Saint Petersburg on May 27[O.S. 16]1703. Between 1713–1728 and 1732–1918 Saint Petersburg functioned as the imperial capital of Russia. In 1918 the central government bodies moved from Saint Petersburg (then named Petrograd) to Moscow. It is Russia's second-largest city after Moscow, with 5million inhabitants (2012), and the fourth most populated federal subject. Saint Petersburg is a major European cultural center, and also an important Russian port on the Baltic Sea.
“Saint Petersburg” (previously – hotel “Leningrad”) is a 3-star hotel in the historical center of Saint Petersburg located on the Pirogovskaya Embankment, 5. The hotel was founded in 1970.
Hotel “Saint-Petersburg” is located in one of the most beautiful places of the city: Pirogovskaya embankment, just in front of the famous cruiser Avrora. The hotel has a magnificent view of the river Neva, historical center of the city, including Isaak and Peter and Paul Cathedrals. Finlyandsky Rail Terminal is situated in 10 minutes of walk from the hotel, getting from the hotel to the “Pulkovo” airport takes around 40 minutes. One of the main advantages of the hotel is an immediate proximity to the most popular sightseeings of Saint-Petersburg.
Hotel “Saint-Petersburg” was built in 1967-1970, architects of the project were S.B. Speransky, V.E. Struzman and N.V. Kamensky. Foundation of the hotel with a symbolic name “Leningrad” was a great breakthrough not just because it was one of the first hotels of that size built after the war and also due to the advanced construction technologies put into practice. The hotel was excellently equipped, on the second floor guests found themselves in a winter garden with a breathtaking view of the historical part of the city. In the “Mirror fort” that looked like a glass cylinder was located a two-story restaurant, where events for the VIP guests of the city were held. During its history hotel “Saint-Petersburg” has received lots of celebrities. An exchange bar was opened in the hotel, which was an absolute rarity for Russia of the 1970s. Special appeal of the hotel were Cabaret performances that were extremely popular with guests and residents of the city.
Casinos and slot-machine halls shut down across Russia yesterday as a new law took effect that imposes sweeping new restrictions on the gaming industry ... The gambling law is expected to have the biggest impact In Moscow, which had 524 casinos and gaming halls until the law took effect, and in SaintPetersburg, which had 109.